You are not logged in

Club History

 

Founded in 1915, the Club took shape in the form of a rustic two-story clubhouse and 9 holes of golf located on forty acres of land donated by the Hannah & Lay Company. Stock was sold at $125 and dues were $25 per year. The early membership was filled with the names of prominent individuals who left their mark on our city as well as our Club. The original members sought a place to golf, mingle with old friends, and make new ones. By 1928, the membership had grown and interest in the game of golf had increased, so another 9 holes were added to the course. Attending the dedication ceremonies in July of 1928 were United States Vice President Charles Dawes and financier Andrew Mellon, as well as R. Floyd Clinch, the president of the Traverse City State Bank and the Hannah & Lay Company.    

The Club struggled through the Depression years, but dedicated members took over the $9,000 mortgage and kept the Club financially intact. The Club flourished in the 1950s and membership increased. In 1957, a kitchen fire spread out of control and destroyed the clubhouse. Club leaders quickly drew up plans for a new facility and a contract in the amount of $264,500 was awarded to a local construction company.

The new clubhouse set the stage for a full calendar of golf and social activities. Membership continued to increase as the early generations of many of our current members joined the Club. It became a home away from home for local families and summer residents alike as tourist interest in Northern Michigan increased. The Club took center stage in 1967 when golfing great Walter Hagen visited as guest of honor at a testimonial dinner. Arnold Palmer also attended, and good wishes were sent from kings and presidents around the world.

Over the years, Traverse City Golf & Country Club has charmed members and guests with unparalleled quality, gracious service and a first-class golf course. Today the Club, a year-round facility, is known to its members as the ‘Gem on the Hill.’ Since its inception in 1915, Traverse City Golf & Country Club has become one of Northern Michigan’s finest family golf and country clubs.